RALEIGH — North CarolinaInsurance Commissioner Mike Causey today announced that Torez Lavon Hughes, 49, of 5620 Novack St., Winston-Salem, was charged with insurance fraud and obtaining property by false pretense, both felonies.
Special Agents with the Department of Insurance’s Criminal Investigations Division accuse Hughes of submitting fraudulent invoices to Travelers Insurance to obtain reimbursements in a homeowners’ insurance claim.
The offenses occurred between Feb. 7 and May 13.
Hughes was served with a criminal summons on Nov. 25. He is due in Forsyth County District Court on Dec. 10.
Commissioner Causey estimates that fraud costs North Carolinians nearly 20 cents on every dollar paid on insurance premiums. That's why he has cracked down on this white-collar crime by boosting the NCDOI Criminal Investigations Division.
Over the past two years, CID Special Agents recovered $7.5 million in damages – money that was returned to consumers and insurance companies. The restitution also helps preserve insurance rates.
To report suspected fraud, contact the N.C. Department of Insurance Criminal Investigations Division at 919-807-6840. Callers may remain anonymous. Information is also available at www.ncdoi.gov.
- Property Crimes
- North Carolinainsurance
- Florida Division Of Insurance Fraud
- Home Insurance
- Department Of Insurance
- Torez Lavon Hughes
- Mike Causey
- Insurance Premiums
- Insurance Claim
- Department Of Insurance Criminal Investigations Division
- Insurance Rates
- Criminal Investigations Division
- Forsyth County District Court
- Insurance’s Criminal Investigations Division
- Insurance Fraud
Click here to read our PDF flip version
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
- Dame Joan Collins Lists Manhattan Pied-A-Terre!
- Power & Sound Revival set for May 22 at Piedmont Dragway
- Say Yes Guilford Offers Free ACT Prep Class
- Valentine’s Pop-Up Clemmons Farmers Market
- Greater Gift Celebrates Covid-19 Research Study Participants With A $2,000 Donation To Second Harvest of Northwest, NC
- Gwynne Furches pleads guilty for DWI-related killing of Elijah Coppedge
- Guilford middle/high school students won’t return for at least three weeks: Board chair wishes it were longer
- Sharpe Outcry: Community calls for school board member’s resignation
- Former patients allege teen rehab program is a ‘racist, homophobic cult’
- Roan Mountain Choir releases “Children of the Quarn”
- Attorneys seek release of GPD videos showing previous use of restraint that killed Marcus Smith
- House of Excuses: City, county officials face criticism in growing housing crisis — Part 2
- Parks and Recreation Partners With Friends Homes for Greenway Connector Project
- Guilford County man’s ‘heart dropped’ when he realized $150,000 win
- New COVID-19 Appointments Available in Guilford County for those 65 Years of Age and Up
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
Donald Trump stirred up a bunch of angry White people, asked them to storm the Capitol build…
Four years ago, Hillary Clinton made a statement that backfired on her. While enjoying a com…
Looking back on 2020, no one would disagree that COVID-19 was the biggest story of the year,…